Friday, May 20, 2011

JUST A FEW WORDS . . .


I love the fierce advocacy you often displayed for each of us. Camping in the dealership showroom, demanding “justice” for your oldest son, when he was taken advantage of, with a squirming, screaming 4 year old me in tow. I love your resolve, and the desire to go back to school at 40+, finish college and join the workforce, when the seventh kid hit kindergarten. I love the fact that you got on the roof at 50 and helped put up Christmas lights. I love the willingness to try to make almost anything in the kitchen – at least once. I love the pizza that your kitchen put out like clockwork on so many Fridays, same as the mountains of cookies that poured forth every December.


I love and share your political passions. I love the care you gave to a declining Dad for those seemingly interminable final years. I love the happy tone in your voice when you recognize the caller - even if the cellphone takes away some of the surprise. I love that you still practice your Faith, and you’re still willing to call out the flaws within the structure that tries to govern It.


I love the relationship you’ve cultivated with your grandsons – and all your grandkids. I love that you’re editing a newsletter in your community. I love that you took the plunge and found love again in your 80s. I love being a part of your “extended “ family. I love that you’re still making an effort to bridge gaps. I love (despite the embarrassment) that you tell people I’m a writer because I write this blog.

Mostly, I love you, Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home